Perceptual and Cognitive Systems
The TNO expertise group Perceptual and Cognitive Systems optimises situational awareness, decision-making and human behaviour through research into the interaction and collaboration between people and technical systems, as well as the effect these systems and their environment have on human behaviour and motivation.
User-centred design is a key approach in our projects. Together with end users we run through iterative cycles of conceptual design, specification and evaluation of systems that enable people to perform effectively, efficiently and safely. Studies with human subjects are done both in the laboratory in simulated environments and in the real world.
- Multi-modal perception (vision, hearing, smell, touch and balance), and system innovation, design and testing to optimise perception;
- Cognition and artificial intelligence, and system innovation, design and testing to optimise human-machine interaction and collaboration;
- User interface innovation, design, and testing to positively influence human behaviour, performance and motivation;
- Measuring and improving traffic safety related to driving behaviour, and the effect of road layout, signposting and dynamic traffic management on behaviour;
- Driver state (fatigue, alcohol, high workload) and special groups (elderly, youngsters) and driver coaching;
- Modelling perception, cognition and behaviour to predict effectiveness, efficiency and safety of current and future systems.
Send an email by clicking here. Add your full name and student ID and we will try to set you up with a student!
Leave a Reply